About this site...

I love vintage things. I will never forget the feelings that overcame me years ago when I first entered an antique shop! There was an overwhelming sense of purpose, history, and life that overtook me! I was completely fascinated - and still am! Old things speak to me. They speak of history, simplicity, and another lifetime. Heritage and appreciating the past and those who have walked before me is important to me. Out of the delight I have for vintage things I have decided to share my treasures here. Those who understand my style of decorating and my fascination with thrift store treasures please come and sit a spell and share some of your finds with me!

Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Real Find! Sorrento "Romance" music box!

When one of my daughters pointed out this lovely jewelry box at the Goodwill this weekend it did indeed catch my eye. I loved the colors and the design. It was marked $3.00 and it was 1/2 price day! I really didn't intend to use it as a jewelry box but thought it would look pretty sitting out somewhere in my home. I tried to wind it to play the music and it seemed to not work at the store. All the same, I decided I wanted to buy it. When I got home I decided it did indeed look really nice on my dresser in the bedroom and I might just actually use it for the little amount of jewelry I wear. Much to my surprise as I opened it to put jewelry in it began to beautifully play "Edelweis"! It has worked every time without fail. I apparently didn't open the lid when trying it at the store (duh!). After looking at the markings on the bottom & researching this little beauty I came to find it is much more valuable then the $1.50 I payed! It seems from what I've seen it possibly is valued more like $150.00! It appears to be a Sorrento Music box. It has the "Made in Italy" label on it and the part you wind says "Romance" (aka "Swiss Reuge") on it! I am very pleased!
In doing research on this music box I found that Vintage Chalet is doing a give away for one of these. So if you're interested in entering click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! I enjoy hearing from you!